Famous Children Poems

Famous Children Poems

Poems for Children by Famous Poets

Poetry offers up a wealth of benefits for children. It fosters a love for language, thereby building literacy. It helps children understand themselves and others, allowing them to cultivate valuable qualities like compassion and empathy. It is also a healthy way for children to express their emotions and deal with emotionally challenging situations. Fortunately, there are many famous poems for children. Poets like A. A. Milne and William Blake wrote many poems for children that can inspire them to find their voice and representation through poetry, even from an early age.

Poems for Kids

  1. Sick

    "I cannot go to school today,"
    Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
    "I have the measles and the mumps,
    A gash, a rash and purple bumps.

    Read Complete Poem

    • Poem of the Week

    Featured Shared Story

    A singer friend told an audience that when she and her brother tried to ditch school, their mother would ask them to say 'plum jam'. If they really had a cold, they would have given a nasal...

    Read complete story

  2. Life Doesn't Frighten Me

    • By Maya Angelou

    Shadows on the wall
    Noises down the hall
    Life doesn't frighten me at all

    Read Complete Poem

    • Poem of the Week

    Featured Shared Story

    This is a wonderful poem. It talks about stuff that most children are scared about, and it has a moral too, which is life is hard but no matter what don't give up.

  3. Being Brave At Night

    • By Edgar Guest

    The other night 'bout two o'clock, or maybe it was three,
    An elephant with shining tusks came chasing after me.
    His trunk was wavin' in the air an' spoutin' jets of steam
    An' he was out to eat me up, but still I didn't scream

    Read Complete Poem

    Featured Shared Story

    This is truly a great poem describing the vivid imagination of children, and it does seem that children have an even deeper imagination when it comes to bedtime! I think this is a great poem...

    Read complete story

  4. Story Telling

    • By Edgar Guest

    Most every night when they're in bed,
    And both their little prayers have said,
    They shout for me to come upstairs
    And tell them tales of gypsies bold,

    Read Complete Poem

    • Poem of the Day

    Featured Shared Story

    Grandpa sat with cigar at his side (rarely in his mouth), his bushy gray eyebrows and mustache crouched in intense concentration, a chess piece or book in hand in most of my memories. But...

    Read complete story

  5. Snowball

    • By Shel Silverstein

    I made myself a snowball
    As perfect as could be.
    I thought I'd keep it as a pet
    And let it sleep with me.

    Read Complete Poem

    • Poem of the Day

    Featured Shared Story

    I love the humor, innocence and whimsy of this poem. But there's more here than meets the eye. If you look a bit deeper, you can see how we sometimes don't properly interpret our experiences,...

    Read complete story

  6. Now We Are Six

    • By A. A. Milne

    When I was One,
    I had just begun.
    When I was Two,
    I was nearly new.

    Read Complete Poem

    • Poem of the Day

    Featured Shared Story

    I was entered into a competition where I had to say a short poem so picked this and kept reading it until I knew it by heart. The day came, I recited it without stumbling, when I had finished...

    Read complete story

  7. Wind On The Hill

    • By A. A. Milne

    No one can tell me,
    Nobody knows,
    Where the wind comes from,
    Where the wind goes.

    Read Complete Poem

    Featured Shared Story

    What a great poem! Life's a mystery and where the wind goes as indicated "Who knows?" And what changes are in store for our lives? Change comes to us from all directions in our lives like the...

    Read complete story

  8. The Spider And The Fly

    • By Mary Howitt

    "Will you walk into my parlor?" said the spider to the fly;
    "'Tis the prettiest little parlor that ever you may spy.
    The way into my parlor is up a winding stair,
    And I have many curious things to show when you are there."

    Read Complete Poem

    Featured Shared Story

    This is a beautiful poem, very beautiful! It can as well be a warning to school girls who are prone to dating those men out there. Symbolically, the spider in the poem is a male and the fly...

    Read complete story

Back to Top