2016 Subaru Impreza consumer reviews

$18,295–$19,295 MSRP range

side view of 2016 Impreza Subaru

89% of drivers recommend this car

Rating breakdown (out of 5):

  • Comfort 4.4
  • Interior design 4.4
  • Performance 4.5
  • Value for the money 4.6
  • Exterior styling 4.6
  • Reliability 4.6

very reliable

great car especially in the winter . All wheel drive is a must here in Buffalo. This car is the best overall. Would hughly recommend

Show full review

Best wagon out there for any budget

After SURVIVING a few Midwest winters in my '05 Crossfire, I decided it was time to get serious and look for a practical option. I knew right away that I wanted a Subie after researching various AWD systems(and idolizing Colin McRae). I'll be honest, my first choice would have been a fourth or fifth generation Legacy but I couldn't find one anywhere. After playing around with Subaru's "build your own" car link on their website, I found the Impreza Sport wagon package which had pretty much everything I wanted. Let me tell you, after 4 years with this thing, and multiple road trips to various parts of the US and Canada, I know I made the right decision. Besides regular maintenance, I haven't had to do anything and have had no issues! Subaru also made this car super easy for the DIY'er to work on. With a Fumoto drain plug installed, oil changes take me about 10 minutes or less because the oil filter is right on top of the block. How about that? Everything else you need to access for maintenance is easy. No need to be a contortionist. Besides this, I have to admit I have added quite a few modifications with more to come like a full XV suspension conversion for increased ride height. I have also done what I can to squeeze more power out of the little 2.0 NA FB20 boxer. Fuel economy is great especially with the CVT, but you definitely can't play Speed Racer on the highway. As for interior, it's your typical black and plastic but that's whatever to me. The "touch sensitive" head unit...isn't, and the Pandora app is cool...when you can get it to work. With that said, fold down the rear seats and the amount cargo space you get with the wagon make going to the drive in or car camping a breeze! I am also pretty fond of the heated cloth seats which I found purely by accident one day after my salesman neglected to point them out initially. Overall, not much more to say about the Impreza. It's a reliable ride. Trust that you can get into this car in the middle of a blizzard, and you'll be able to safely get to where you want to go. What else can you ask for?

Show full review

Great Mileage and Very Safe!

One of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. It also has bluetooth and back-up camera which was a surprise given the cost was so low.

Show full review

Not only reliable, but it saved my life...

One of the best cars I've owned. Had a 2013 for years, drive it across country, and back a few times. Only maintenance, never anything major, and handled amazing in the snow. It saved my life in a bad front end collision. So, I knew I had to buy it again. The '16 model has been designed with a little more room and performance. A great vehicle all the way around and most of all safe for you or your family.

Show full review

It's a Subaru!

I drove a Legacy Outback for 18 years. Why would I buy anything else? This is somewhat of a down size to an Impreza wagon but it is amazing how many things are the same. I love my car.

Show full review

Manual transmission problems from early on

It has a ton of interior space for such a compact car. Decent gas mileage. Awesome in the snow. My 2016s transmission began having problems in 2018. Got stuck in reverse around 40k miles. Repeatedly popped out of 3rd while driving. Not my first manual so it's not my driving. The infotainment is terrible too

Show full review

Subaru Feel the Love

I traded a 19 year old outback for an 2016 Impreza wagon. At 70 I'm sure this will be the last car I will drive.

Show full review

Happy to be back in a Subaru!

The only reason I did not give the 2016 Impreza hatchback a 5-star rating is due to lack of power under the hood. It could be a bit faster. As far as hugging the road, no complaints. It handles well. Has adequate room inside for 4, possibly 5, and a surprisingly roomy trunk. High safety ratings. Like the interior layout, especially having so many controls on steering wheel. Body style is a mix of conservative/sporty. Wish there had been more color choices. Black complements body well. Love the great gas mileage and dependability of a Subaru.

Show full review

Lovly and cute car

This car is my first car owed. I drove many other cars like handas and toyotas but subarus are the most comfortable and eco-freindly. I love my subaru

Show full review

What's not to like?

This is a pleasant surprise...we knew about Subaru reliability, but this is one amazing car. The standard equipment is more than enough! Nuff said. There, I think that's all 4 now

Show full review